Make your own free website on Tripod.com

Grampian 23 sailboat

The ongoing repair of the exterior - page 3

Home | As is, where is | Cleaned and scrubbed | Projects. | Breaker yard | 1-deck recore | 2-recore | 3-deck and inside | 4-interior | 5-interior | 6-interior | 7 - Interior | 8 - Forward | 9 - Forward | 10 - Head | 11 - painting | 12 - Deck | Mast and boom | Electrical | Musings | Suppliers | Boatyard | Tools, etc. | Misc. | Launch

Deck and Cabin.

Sunday, 20 February 2005
I've got all the wood core done. I have still to put the fibreglass layers on the cabin top, but I feel a major milestone has been accomplished. It will be even better once the fibreglass has been completed to at least a rough stage. I have shaped the wood for the mast step and am ready to epoxy that into the step. I am also on my third gallon of epoxy.
 
I have to go and see a chap who has a bunch of sailboat stuff which he says he can't sell at the flea market. Wonder if there is a catch? It's worth my time to take a look.
 

Sunday, 6 March 2005
I'm now starting to put dates in my text so I can remember when I was last working here.
I've finally gotten the cabin top and topsides roughed in! This is exciting. I feel quite a bit of relief as I now plan on moving ahead inside the cabin rather than muck about on the deck. Great, great. I still have to hollow out the seams with the grinder and then layer in fibreglass and epoxy, but that's just moving ahead, not feeling as if there is no end to the tunnel!
 

Martha Stewart would be proud!
075cabintopinplace.jpg
The cabin top is ON THE BOAT!

Sunday 13 March 2005.
 
I have started to fill in the seams and build up areas which had previous damage. This is particularly so where the feet from the bow pulpit pushed through the deck.
 
One biggish thing I did was take the toe-rails off the boat. They had been the sources of some irritating leaks and also anytime I had to dangle my legs overboard, the rail caught me behind the knee and was seriously uncomfortable. (I also admitted the boat would never be a racer and therefore having convenient places to attach snatch-blocks was not a priority. I think the profile is improved. Photos to follow.

Sunday 27 March 2005
 
Roughed in the galley and quarterberth wood. Got a bit of a jolt when upon taking the bulkhead out and the piece of rotten quarterberth, it appeared the hull had shifted slightly (about 1/4"). This came as I was dry fitting the new wood piece. In looking back, I had water intrusion through the toe rail screw holes. These I have epoxied closed and the boat has gone through another rain with no apparent water. Anyway, the water intrusion seems to have been the cause of my 'shrinkage'; actually it was the wood expanding due to the water getting in!
 
It's an exciting time, now that I have gotten some paint onto new wood rather than just pulling old rotten wood out of the boat. The oil paint will add some nice gloss to the interior.

078galley.jpg
GALLEY

080quarterberthandgalley.jpg
QUARTERBERTH AND GALLEY

084paintedgalley.jpg
PAINTED GALLEY

Deck and Cabin - redux
 
I've covered the cabin top and the fore-deck with biax cloth and epoxy. It looks great. This is a heavy cloth but it wets out well. The edges are going to require me grinding them down. I used 80 grit on my orbital sander and it barely made a dent. The new DeWalt grinder will do the trick. I am at a standstill as I am waiting on my supplier to get another gallon of epoxy. One does go through a lot of epoxy doing a rebuild. I think I had budgeted 3 gallons and here I will be going on to number 5! Photos are to follow - my teenager has absconded with the camera.